mercy bell one of these nights about twelve o'clock this old world is gonna rock
music
/ wendy and bells/ blog
brooklyn, ny

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

poor kids in brooklyn recipe #2: LOVE BURGER aka LOVEBURGER

When I was really little in San Francisco my mom and our hippie neighbors would feed us loveburger with ketchup. It's so good. I never could figure out what that taste was until I tried some baked falafel once and realized it was in that family. Now I am not saying I hav the original, beloved Summer of Love San Francisco treat.

But it is a Brooklyn Love Burger.

So if you are poor and a vegan, (or a poor-getarian), or just really into whole foods, consider this.

1 can of chickpeas
1 can black of beans
1 1/2 cup chopped potatoes
1/2 cup brown rice
2 tbs of tahini (very important)
garlic
onion
1/2 cup of oatmeal or breadcrumbs
roasted carrots (optional)
curry powder (optional)
salt
a little water and olive oil to moisten as need be

Put everything in a food processor. Taste it as you go. You should almost be able to eat it like mashed potatoes. It should have the consistency of cookie batter.

Bake it on a greased tray. Or fry it if you're feeling greasy.

What really works with this recipe is that you can use any number of substitutes for anything. The really crucial taste, in my opinion, are the tahini and the chickpeas, but everything else can be swapped with leftovers/ingredients of your preference.

And if anyone has the REAL San Francisco Loveburger recipe of my childhood. email it to me!

1 comment:

Janne said...

Wow! Finally someone else who remembers Love Burger! It came as a box mix with a lovely little picture on the front of the box of a child with animals. Have been looking for the recipe for five years! Can't wait to try it-thanks!