mercy bell one of these nights about twelve o'clock this old world is gonna rock
music
/ wendy and bells/ blog
brooklyn, ny

Friday, August 14, 2009

Six Degrees of Lois Weisberg

Is it ok to put formaldyhyde in a song? Whatevskies. I did. All Good Cowboys, demo liscious...

This article might change your life. I read it a while ago and it continues to echo for me.

Gladwell is one of my intellectual infatuations, alongside Ira Glass and Rachel Maddow. Hook an IV from their brains to mine puhleeze.

Six Degrees of Lois Weisberg by Malcolm Gladwell

Everyone who knows Lois Weisberg has a story about meeting Lois Weisberg, and although she has done thousands of things in her life and met thousands of people, all the stories are pretty much the same. Lois (everyone calls her Lois) is invariably smoking a cigarette and drinking one of her dozen or so daily cups of coffee. She will have been up until two or three the previous morning, and up again at seven or seven-thirty, because she hardly seems to sleep. In some accounts -- particularly if the meeting took place in the winter -- she'll be wearing her white, fur-topped Dr. Zhivago boots with gold tights; but she may have on her platform tennis shoes, or the leather jacket with the little studs on it, or maybe an outrageous piece of costume jewelry, and, always, those huge, rhinestone-studded glasses that make her big eyes look positively enormous. "I have no idea why I asked you to come here, I have no job for you," Lois told Wendy Willrich when Willrich went to Lois's office in downtown Chicago a few years ago for an interview. But by the end of the interview Lois did have a job for her, because for Lois meeting someone is never just about meeting someone. If she likes you, she wants to recruit you into one of her grand schemes -- to sweep you up into her world. A while back, Lois called up Helen Doria, who was then working for someone on Chicago's city council, and said, "I don't have a job for you. Well, I might have a little job. I need someone to come over and help me clean up my office." By this, she meant that she had a big job for Helen but just didn't know what it was yet. Helen came, and, sure enough, Lois got her a big job.

(continue...)

No comments: